Thursday, July 6, 2017

Returns

Having just returned from my trip (it was great!) I thought I would mention a find. You see, I wasn't expecting to do so, but I stumbled upon a used book store far better than any around where I regrettably live. I ended up grabbing far too many books, but I regret nothing.

Don't judge me. You know you've done it, too. Sometimes you see so many great stories that you just can't help yourself. And I barely managed to contain myself.

My haul was as follows.

Deathlands: Neutron Solstice by James Axler
Swords Against Wizardry by Fritz Leiber
The Moon Pool by Abraham Merritt
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Classic Tales of Horror by Edgar Allen Poe
The Lovecraft Compendium by H.P. Lovecraft
Fallon by Louis L'Amour
Kilkenny by Louis L'Amour
Conagher by Louis L'Amour
Science Fiction Classics (Hardcover) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

  • Thuvia, Maid of Mars
  • The Chessmen of Mars
  • The Master Mind of Mars
  • Pellucidar
  • Tanar of Pellucidar


On top of it I also got two non-fiction books, one about Arthurian Legends and one on Celtic Saints.

Needless to say, I bought far more than I really should have, but with a haul like that, can you blame me? I could hardly turn down any of those finds.

There's a lot out there to dive into, both in the past and in newly released works that it is hard to keep up. My love of Action Adventure can hardly keep up, especially considering how strong its sub-genres of Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Horror can be.

Why should I waste my time with modern dreary fiction when there is so much out there that aims to inspire and instill fantastical images instead? All the best genres of fiction are about different forms of action that it depends on what the reader feels like experiencing. Action Adventure is the genre of choice for those of us who want to travel to far off lands, discover strange inventions, mystical lands, and horrifying secrets-- sometimes all in the same story! Why read stories about a depressive staring into a cracked mirror when you can discover something truly wondrous instead?

Today is the best time to be a lover of the fantastical, the exciting, and the wondrous. While the modern world implodes, the regressives are silently (and some not so silently!) revisiting the past, connecting with it, and producing their own content on top of it. It is like a return to a timeline we were supposed to have abandoned long ago.

But nope, we haven't.

As I mentioned in this video on the Pulp Revolution, we are very much alive.


The past and future! Together again like so much chocolate and peanut-butter!

And as much as I would like to keep going on about it, I have my own work I need to get back to doing. I'm also craving some Reese's Pieces for some unfathomable reason. Anyway, back to the reading and the writing.

And I'm quite excited to be doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment