Thursday, July 7, 2016

On the Sunset Highway

I've been listening to a bit of Retrowave music recently. It has a lot of names, but what it actually consists of is synth instrumental music reminiscent of the '80s. More than nostalgia (I'm more of an early '90s guy as my tastes go) this music hits a groove that modern music has all but abandoned in wub-wubs and a flat, emotionless, sound. This stuff has character.

It is nice to see all these alternatives show up due to the mainstream continuing to lose the plot. There was a time not so long ago that stuff like this would simply have no place. It was either do what the industry wanted, or go broke. Thankfully, that all seems to be changing.

My personal favorite of these groups is Miami Nights 1984, who sound simultaneously like retro video game music, '80s action movie film scores, and driving music, all at once. Their Early Summer album, in particular, is my favorite.

Check them out:





Groove it out. While you're doing that, I'll just be spin-kicking bad guys off catwalks on my way to the final boss. Oh, yeah.

Or maybe I'll just get back to writing. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment